Friday, July 27, 2012

Another New Tool & A Project

(July 10, 2012)

Remember the Bosch Router Table that I got? Well... like I said in that post... my Skil router wont fit in it because the plate isn't predrilled for it and the holes won't match up. So I got pretty frustrated. I had started my first project and couldn't finish it because I'm just not in a place where I can do what I needed with out the router attached.
Having said that... I guess I should show you the project. It's a picture frame. (I know you can't tell... but I'm still so excited about this that I'm jumping up and down like a little kid... at least on the inside LOL)

 On the right, is the front of my frame. I was pretty happy with how well my miter joints came out. Especially since this is my first attempt. I keep wanting to call it my first project. My "James" sign was. But it was sort of practice. So I guess this sort of is my first. I used blue painters tape to hold them together until I could glue them up. I needed my router attached to a table to do the groove on the back.
As you can see... the right is the back and there's no groove. This is the back while it's still just taped with the blue painters tape. 

(July 10, 2012)

So... what's a girl to do? I had my router table all put together and couldn't use it. I looked into a replacement plate for it but couldn't/wouldn't pay the price. Soooo.... after talking to another woodworking friend (Mike, he's a scroll guy. Awesome work.) I heard about a router table/router combo at Sears. So off to Sears I went. I think the thing retailed for $139 or something. Maybe more. But it was on sale for $119. I didn't need a router. I already had one. But I was curious and asked the sales person to give me some more info on it. It was the last one and there was no display model. I almost didn't find it. When they pulled it up online it said $107. So I asked the girl if I could have it for that price. She of course said yes. At first I left and didn't get it. But I ended up going back and picking it up. I just couldn't pass it up. 

Here it is. James helped me put it together too. 

The router is a Craftsman 1 3/4 HP, fixed base. One thing I do kinda like about it is that it has an interchangeable collet. I don't know if it's going to be too easy to switch bits out... but I can change the collet from a 1/4" shank to a 1/2" shank. All the bits I have right now are 1/4". But I was looking for a 1" flush trim bit the other day at Lowe's and the only flush trim bits they had at all were 1/2" shanks. Anyhow... I'm pretty happy with the whole set up. I've decided to keep my Skil router as well to do signs and inlay and... well... whatever else I may need to use a plunge router for. :)

So... I got to make my groove in the back and I got my frame all glued up and stained it. As you can see, I missed some of the glue in the bottom right hand corner. This whole project was a learning experience. But I'm still quite happy with how it turned out. 
I did notice, however, that when doing my glue up, I didn't get my joints as aligned as I did when I was taping. I don't know if they slipped when I was putting the clamp on or if I just didn't get them as aligned. 
Still... happy with it. I used the Early American Minwax stain on it. 

After I got this one all stained and ready to go. I went after the rest of the piece of wood. This wasn't made with pallet wood. But not everything I make will be. Besides... that pallet wood I have is not ready for any project that requires wood that is square. 

I'll share the next frame with you tomorrow. Until then... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment