Sunday, July 15, 2012

My First Find

(June 12, 2012)

As I said.... Let the adventure begin!

I started off on my new adventure not really knowing what I was looking for or what I would find. As I was running an errand to town I had my eyes peeled. I found myself looking at the dumpsters of every business I drove past. I didn't have the courage to stop anywhere. I did make a mental note of the places that I saw pallets. I was in the neighboring town I passed a small car repair garage. And yes... laying against the wall next to their dumpster was a pallet. It was too late though... I had already passed it. So I summoned all my courage and went back. Two men came out and I asked them about the pallet. They looked at me kind of funny but told me that I could take it and that in fact they had one more out behind the building that they would be happy for me to take off their hands.



My FIRST two pallets :)


I was driving my husbands Dodge Dakota that day so I loaded the two pallets in the back of his truck and took my new found pallets home. Somewhere along the way I ended up picking up one of my daughters. (Bailey is the oldest girl and just turned 13. She is my stepdaughter). I had shared with her what I was doing with the pallets and she jumped on board immediately. We were just about home and she spotted a pallet laying against the wall at another local car repair/tractor parts/??? (I have no idea what this place does really:). But there it was... it didn't look too great. But of course we stopped anyway. As we went into the business Bailey marched ahead of me with a "I've got this!" attitude. She walked up to the guy behind the desk and asked if they had any pallets we could have. Again... the strange look. The guy asked "What are you going to do with them?" Then he paused and said "Wait... I don't need to know what you are going to do with them. YES! I have a whole stack of pallets you can take." He then directed us to the back of the property where there would be a pile.

I don't remember it being this destroyed. But I don't think I cared :)

As we left the store we grabbed the lone pallet laying against the wall and threw it in the back of the truck. We drove around to the back of the property where he had directed us and there was a massive pile of old broken up pallets and all sorts of wood. It was more than I knew what to do with so we decided to come back later. We went home with our three pallets and was quite happy with our find.

I'm not sure if this is a great beginning or not... but... I know I was pretty excited. I look forward to sharing more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment