Sunday, July 29, 2012

What to do?

(July 14, 2012)

Wow... Things have certainly changed over the past 4-5 weeks. I think that I've become totally addicted to woodworking. Over the last few days I've not only completed my first few projects, I've also joined some woodworking communities. LOL! Yes... you know you are an addict when you join some communities. Today I worked on my blog and also got on Google+. I found a woodworking circle that has like 500 people in it. This is a group of people that are interested in woodworking. I went from following two people and having no followers... to having 9 followers and now I'm following over 500. WOW! And that was all within a few minutes.

Anyhow... here is where I am. I haven't acquired any new pallets lately. I've sort of been researching and acquiring some tools and some other consumable items. I really have an itch to make something with the pallet wood though. I keep thinking... rip it, cut it, make some more frames, make a box, make a cutting board, make an end grain cutting board, a bird feeder... anything. Problem... it's not square. None of the wood is square. I really would like to get a planer and a jointer. The hubby says that a planer is something that I don't need till I really start making big projects like furniture and after I've been doing this for some years. But man... I've got a pile of free wood just calling my name. I'd like to do something with it now. So the debate is... do I get the planer now... or wait?

Remember my boards?  Here are just a few of the 2"x4"s. 

And on here, the right side has a few of the boards as well. And look at that stack! That wood just wants to be re-purposed and used to make something. 

OH!OH!OH! I forgot to tell you something. I got some good news and some bad news yesterday. Bad news... my friend Matt says that the band saw he was tuning up for me is not gonna happen. It just doesn't work. The good news.... my table saw is ready. YEAH!!! Doing the happy dance! And... another great bit of news... he has made me a "pallet ripper" as he calls it. Matt is a man of many talents. I asked someone on facebook a question about welding and come to find out he can do that too. So I showed him a YouTube video on reclaiming pallet wood and he made me the tool they use. I can't wait to share it with you! It's going to be awesome 

Here is a pic of Matt. He's my friend/brother-in-law, supplier (tools that is, lol) and my wood mentor. 
James took this picture :)


So... right now... I am planning a trip to go to Matt's and get my table saw. Did I mention that he found a little work table for me too? It wasn't ready last time because he was putting a new top on it. The table saw wasn't quite ready because he was putting a zero clearance insert for the blade and put a new (slightly used) blade on it. Man... he is hooking me up. Like I said... he's my supplier. LOL

Anyhow... a trip is being planned. Probably going to go next Friday (today is Saturday). I'll get my table saw, my "pallet ripper" and my new work table. He told me yesterday that he did too good of a job on the table that now he likes it so much that he wants to keep it. I can't wait to see it. 
Also while there... he said that I could bring up my boards and use his jointer and planer. I have a feeling that this will just cement in my mind that I want both of these tools. And... he said he's going to show me some of his jigs. We may even make some while I'm there so I can take home. I can't wait!!!

I look forward to sharing with you again tomorrow. Hopefully I will have a project to share with you. I'm planning on making a box. Not out of pallet wood though :(

No comments:

Post a Comment