Thursday, July 26, 2012

Some Odds & Ends

These are just some of the tools that I've acquired. I thought I'd share them with you. While I took the pictures all the same day... (July 14, 2012)... I've been picking things up along the way. 

This crow bar is actually the FIRST brand new tool that I bought. It saved me ALOT of time. 

I picked these router bits up the same day that I got my Bosch Router Table. I wasn't sure what to buy but I had my first project in mind so I just bought the bits it called for. The project called for a 3/4" roundover bit and a 1/2" straight bit. But I saw these sets and got these instead. Again... taking picture with my phone so they aren't the best. My good camera is back in action so hopefully I'll be using it again. 
Three straight bits and three roundovers.

This thing comes in real handy. It's simple but I love it. I have to work in the yard because of the lack of space in the garage. So having to drag the extension cord out every time was becoming a pain. I didn't even think about this. The hubby found it and suggested it for me. Notice it has 4 plugs? I was pulling this cord out... plugging in my miter saw and making a cut... then unplugging to use my router... then unplugging the router to plug in the sander.... then plugging the miter saw in again... and so on and so on... it was a pain. This really helps :)

Here are some things I scavenged from my hubby. The clamp on the left I actually bought at the flea market. I use the other two clamps (he has 2 more) and I've also found his double sided tape to come in quite handy.

More things that I've picked up at Lowes. Some paint brushes, my OWN safety glasses, a metal square, some gorilla glue, a scraper for removing the excess glue and some MinWax. On the right is my stain that I just picked up and I got some polyurethane. My son Kyle actually picked the stain color to match a table that he built in shop class at school. I think it's called Early American. And he said that I'd need the polyurethane, so I got some of it too. The black and red clamp looking this on the lower left is a Bessey clamp that I got. Mainly I got it for picture frames but the hubby said he'd probably have some uses for it at some point too. I'm sure it will get used. Also, above that is two small clamps. 

More stuff that I scavenged from the hubby's garage. The blue tape is just painters tape. I used it on a project (I'll be sharing what project later)

I made another trip to the ReStore and picked up these items. More stain, steel wool pads, a sanding block and some zip ties. I totally plan on using those zip ties to attach an extension cord to the work bench I plan on using. I saw that tip in a YouTube video. Guess how much all this cost? The Minwax that I bought at Lowes was like $6.77 or $7 something. The stain here was $3.89 and was a full unopened can. The steel wool was .75, .25 each for zip ties and .98 for the sanding block. Not bad, huh? Under $7. I got all this for the same price that I paid for just one can of stain. 

Side note: Guess what I found out when I made this trip to the ReStore? I asked if "the back" was open. They said that it was a one time special event. Usually they just use that warehouse to move stuff up as they sell things. I just happened to go on that day and didn't even realize it. They move stuff up quite often so I need to be going every Friday and Saturday. They are only open two days a week. Guess where I'll be going next Friday?

More tools that I scavenged from the hubby. He has all kinds of sandpaper like this. I have decided that I don't like his sander that uses this paper. But I can use it to hand sand. So I'm glad he has such a big stock. There is more in the garage. AND... he tells me that he has one of those finish sanders. He called it a mouse sander. I don't know what it's called but I know what it looks like. The Kobalt tape measure is one that he just picked up. It's more for him. I like the smaller one anyways. And this hammer is one of the three that I keep using. He won't let me use the rubber mallet on the pallets. Not that I want to... but i can see a need for it in the future.


 And of course... I'm always on the look out for more pallets. Found this little guy.... ummm.... actually I don't remember where. LOL! But I have found three places that have pallets come in pretty regularly. One has some really NICE looking ones. Then I found that the newspaper in town has a steady supply (if you get there before someone else does) and I found quite a few at the local pool supply store. They said anytime I see any by the dumps to go ahead and pick them up as I wish. I saw a bunch the other day. But I had too many kids with me and couldn't fit any in my van. The lady kind of looked at me funny when I told her I'd be back with my van to pick them up. I just lay the back seat down and they fit perfectly. 


I also found quite a few odd sized one behind the family dollar store in town. They said I could take them... haven't been back yet. Actually... that's where I got this one. Just couldn't fit anymore because of the kids. :)

I look forward to sharing a project with you on my next post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment