Thursday, July 19, 2012

Back to my Pallets

(June 18, 2012)

So... I scavenged some more pallets.




I found a great place that gave me quite a few. I packed as many as I could in the back of my van. Since my acquiring the pallets is happening faster than my dis-assembly (insert Johnny#5 voice here)... I cleared out a place behind my garage to store them neatly.




























I didn't get pictures of all that I did pick up. But first before I started stacking them I took the blue pallet (first pic above) as my base. I figured I'd never use it for anything so I might as well use it as a base to stack. You can't see it in that picture but to the right of it is another pallet where I began storing the wood after it was completely disassembled... no nails, no staples... just wood ready to prep for use.

And then... I also decided to make a better "workstation". So I made a nice pile of pallets to work from, making sure to use the worst pallet I could find as my bottom.
Here's my "workstation" with my "tabletop" on the top to finish it off. Works great. I have a flat surface to lay items and then in the front I can use the open slots when turning the wood over and driving out the nails.


Notice the "DO IT" board that's in there? Bailey thought it was awesome that it said that on there and that is strategically placed in the stack. It's kinda became a reminder not only that I CAN "Do It"... but it's also a reminder for me to get out there and "Do It". 

And remember my lofty idea of using the reclaimed 2"x4"s to fill in the gaps of my larger piece? Well... here I've started the process. I haven't cut any of the boards to length or attached them yet. I want to see what I have before I start doing that. Still have more pallets to take apart. 


My husband has been skeptical all along. But after I laid the boards out he at least could see where I was going. Of course he wanted to remind me that this is not treated wood and that before I get too eager that I should remember that it's all going to rot out. SO..... not knowing anything about treating wood I'm open to your suggestions about how to do that. I know there is stuff out there to use. But the hard part is going to be getting the parts that are already attached. It's not like I'm going to go through the craziness of taking apart to treat it. So I'm not sure how to go about this process. 



No comments:

Post a Comment