Saturday, July 28, 2012

My Second Frame


(July 12, 2012)

After making the first frame and finally completing it, I was ready to make my next. I had some leftover wood from the first one so I decided to use that. 
Here is my second frame. The picture is kinda weird but it is a square. 

I still just used the roundover bit and the straight bit. But I raised the bit a little higher to get a different profile on this frame. 

This frame was MUCH quicker to make having the router table set up. I love it! Here is just another picture of the frame. Can you tell I was pretty happy with the profile? My joints could be better... but I'm happy. Each piece is a learning experience. 

Like I said... this one was much easier to make. 

I used the same Early American stain from Minwax but I did the process a little different this time. 
Here are both the finished frames together. The second one, on the left, is much lighter. On the first one I applied the stain and then wiped it off. Then I made another thin application of the stain and left it on. 



On the second one I simply applied once and then wiped it off. I like both of  them.
I don't know how well you can tell this... but the table they are sitting on is the one my son made in shop class. The frame on the right matches it pretty good. This is before the polyurethane is applied though. He told me that in order to match his table it would need the polyurethane. LOL :)

All-in-all... I'm pretty happy with the way these turned out. I look forward to making more and trying different profiles. I know that to the experienced woodworker these are a small project and maybe pretty easy. But I'm still learning this wonderful craft and I'm enjoying every minute of it... even if it is just a picture frame, or a sign that says "James". 
Thank you for reading this and letting me share my new wonderful addiction with you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment